The man who has made a success of life and won the honor and esteem of
his fellow citizens deserves more than passing notice. Such is the record,
briefly stated, of the gentleman whose name heads this review, the record he
left behind being one of honor in every respect, for a more whole-souled and
popular man never lived in Stevenson township where he long maintained his
home and where he labored for the general good of the community, and,
although his life work has been closed by the good angel, who has set the
seal on the record of his life history, his influence still permeates the
lives of those who knew him best and loved him for his fortitude, fidelity,
honor and industry.
Eli Brubaker was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, December 11, 1819, and he was called from his earthly labors in 1907, after a long and eminently useful and successful life. He was the son of Abraham and Elizabeth (Myers) Brubaker, and was reared on his father's farm in Ohio, where he assisted with the work about the place until he reached manhood, attending the common schools in the neighborhood until he received a fairly good education, such as the old pioneer schools of those times afforded. The schoolhouse, which he attended, had puncheon seats and greased paper was used for window panes. For a full history of the Brubaker family the reader is referred to the sketch of Noah Brubaker, which appears in another part of this volume.
The subject of this sketch came to Marion county, Illinois, in 1843, and settled among the pioneers on new land in Stevenson township, where, by dint of hard work, he made a home and developed a good farm. The old Brubaker homestead is today one of the best farms in Stevenson township. Eli Brubaker was a hard worker and an excellent farmer, and he made a comfortable living.
Our subject was first married to Mary Ann Warner January 20, 1842, daughter of William Warner, an early settler of Marion county, Illinois. She was born in Lancaster county, Ohio. She passed to her rest in 1872. She was the mother of eleven children, namely: Isaac, who lives in Iuka, this state; Christina, deceased; Annie E., widow of Shannon Kagy lives in Stevenson township; William is a prosperous farmer in Stevenson township; Edgar and Edward are twins; Logan is a farmer, living in Stevenson township; Mary Jane is the eighth child; the ninth, tenth and eleventh child died in infancy.
On February 4, 1875, the subject married a second time, his last wife being Emma Squibb, who was born in Ohio county, Indiana, the daughter of George Y. and Mary Ann (Harpham) Squibb, natives of Indiana, who moved to Stevenson township, Marion county, Illinois, where the mother is still living, the father having died soon after coming to this county. Mrs. Brubaker is living on the old homestead in Stevenson township, which she manages successfully.
Our subject was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church and a liberal supporter of the same. He was a good everyday Christian, always strictly honest in his dealings with his fellow men, a good neighbor, father and husband. In politics he was a Democrat, but never held office. The different members of his family are well settled in life and are highly respected in their respective communities. They reflect great credit upon their parents, who gave them every advantage possible, and no doubt they will ever uphold the honor of the family name, which is one of the highest integrity.
The subject of this sketch was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church and was ordained elder in this church in 1847. He was superintendent of the Sunday school at Brubaker chapel for the long period of over forty-two years, after which he was elected honorary superintendent for life. He was a leader in church work for many years and was foremost in promoting everything, which makes for the betterment of humanity. It was largely due to his efforts that the new and modern church edifice was erected and dedicated June 20, 1896, which he christened New Bethel, he not only donating the land, consisting of four acres for the manse, but also gave freely of his services and money to the building fund.
Mr. Brubaker gave each of his children a farm.
Extracted 06 Jun 2017 by Norma Hass from 1909 Biographical and Reminiscent History of Richland, Clay and Marion Counties, Illinois, pages 205-206.