One of the most extensive, modern and systematically managed plumbing
concerns in Southern Illinois is that conducted by the firm of Fowler
Brothers at Centralia, being worthy successors of their father, Reuben G.
This firm's place of business fronts on South Locust street and South Second street. They carry a full and complete line of plumbing supplies, heating, electrical and gas fixtures and supplies, also fire clay and fire brick. They have two neat show and display rooms. All the latest, complete, automatic machinery, run by electric dynamos for heating, lighting and plumbing, are to be found here. They also carry a full line of nickel-plated plumbing supplies. An extensive business is carried on and is being constantly enlarged and extended to meet the growing demands of the trade of Southern Illinois and adjoining states.
Harry A. Fowler married Mattie Adams, of Centralia, and they are the parents of one little girl, who bears the pretty name, Marjorie.
John R. Fowler, the younger member of the firm, was educated in the Centralia city schools, and began when quite young to learn his father's trade of plumbing. He is a practical and up-to-date artist in his work as well as a good business man. He has a state certificate, awarded to him in 1902 for his thoroughness and proficiency in his chosen occupation. Harry and John Fowler are both members of the National Plumbers and Steam Fitters Association, and are also graduates in this line of the International Correspondance School, of Scranton, Pennsylvania, and they are keeping pace with twentieth century methods. They have a good business and enjoy the entire confidence of their many friends and patrons in Marion county and throughout this part of the state.
Extracted 27 May 2019 by Norma Hass from 1909 Biographical and Reminiscent History of Richland, Clay and Marion Counties, Illinois, pages 567-568.